Welcome to 1Gig Tech update!
In today’s edition, there are 13 articles on technology, news, open source, community on the fantastic and ever evolving technology world.
- How Google Sold Its Engineers on Management (David A. Garvin)
Since the early days of Google, people throughout the company have questioned the value of managers. That skepticism stems from a highly technocratic culture. As one software engineer, Eric Flatt, puts it, “We are a company built by engineers for engineers.
- Announcing the release of the Azure Usage and Billing Portal (Chris Risner)
Many organizations ask us for a convenient way to review and visualize usage and billing information across multiple subscriptions. Today, this is a complicated problem to solve due to access restrictions on billing information.
- 7 Things You Need to Know About Being an Entrepreneur Before You Quit Your Job (Gordon Tredgold)
Every year thousands of people quit their jobs to take up the entrepreneur path looking to build their own business. They are often seduced by the get rich quick success stories such as Uber, WhatsApp, etc.
- Awesome .NET
Albacore is a professional quality suite of Rake tasks for building .NET or Mono based systems. Capturing CLR and application-level metrics. So you know what’s going on.
- 5 Impeccable Reasons Node.js is Great for Startups
Among the developers recently server side frameworks became hugely popular because of the ease of development and other performance attributes. Among all the server side frameworks Node.js became the most favorite among startups worldwide.
- (Not so) Stupid Question 290-291: What is OWASP, and what is the WebGoat project? (Iris Classon)
I’m in lovely Budapest right now with work (Mindcamp). Every year Mindcamp does a company conference (sort of) with the employees. Last year was Toscana, this year Budapest.
- Find the right app for your business needs
Add new capabilities to your existing business applications. From Dynamics to Power BI, you’ll find solutions to enhance what you already use.
- Microservices hosted in Docker
This tutorial details the tasks necessary to build and deploy an ASP.NET Core microservice in a Docker container. During the course of this tutorial, you’ll learn: Docker makes it easy to create standard machine images to host your services in a data center, or the public cloud.
- How Do Mobile Emulators Even? (Jen Looper)
Every mobile developer’s professional life is dominated by those little moments where fingers hover over the keyboard while the developer waits patiently for a window to appear on the screen containing a version of the mobile app over which he or she has been laboring.
- Create your first botframework bot in Azure! (Robin Osborne)
At //Build 2016 Microsoft unleashed something known as the Bot Framework; a set of three products to help you build conversational bots and connect them with services, like Slack, Skype, and even Email and SMS.
- Serverless Data Sync in Web Apps with Bit Torrent
Our team has built a lot of Progressive Web Apps recently to demonstrate how we think they can be built: Airhorner, Voice Memos, Guitar Tuner, SVG-OMG are a few that spring to mind.
- Exclusive: Why Microsoft is betting its future on AI (Casey Newton)
Satya Nadella bounded into the conference room, eager to talk about intelligence. I was at Microsoft’s headquarters in Redmond, WA, and the company’s CEO was touting the company’s progress in building more intelligent apps and services.
- A multi-platform .NET UI framework (formerly known as Perspex)
A multi-platform .NET UI framework. It can run on Windows, Linux, Mac OS X, iOS and Android. Avalonia is delivered as a NuGet package. You can find the packages here: (stable(ish), nightly)